As the day of departure draws closer, I keep thinking man I need to get my gear together! Tomorrow. Yeah. Tomorrow is the day I do this. Before it’s literally too late.
Sooo… I’ve kind of been putting this one off. I have my normal backpacking setup that I plan to bring, and figure I’ll tweak a few things at the last minute, add a few thangs, and call it a day.
A few gear items I plan to add for the AZT:
– Reflective umbrella. Gotta keep that blazing sun off my back. (I have an older version of this one)
– Tiny black light. For finding scorpions at night! I don’t want one of those stinging buggers hiding out in my tent
– Panty hose water prefilter. For getting any algae goop out of the water before filtering
– Aquamira. Water treatment in tiny containers to use as post filter water treatment for any extra sketchy water sources
– Plenty of water bladders & bottles. For extra water carrying capacity
– Garmin inReach mini. Satellite tracking, satellite texting, emergency beacon, etc. Safety!
– Pepper spray. To keep on hand when hitching a ride.
A few maybe gear items depending on conditions and situations:
– Down booties. If it’s really cold, I’ll pack ’em
– Sleeping bag liner. Same as above
– Bear spray. A recent bear attack in southern Arizona makes me think I might want to carry some…
Some thoughts: If I can set up my hammock like a tent, using trekking poles (aka on the ground in addition to normal tree setup), I will be bringing it instead of a tent. The only problem is, it is a bottom entry hammock, so I’m not really sure if that’s feasible… I may carry the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2-person tent, but it is a full pound heavier than the hammock. My shoes will likely wear out somewhere along the trail. After that happens I may try the Hoka Speedgoats. Hokas are incredibly comfortable. I have Hoka running shoes that I have been wearing for well over 2 years and they are still comfortable and haven’t worn out yet. I’m packing heavy baselayers. If the weather is warmer than expected, I can always switch out to something lighter. I’m still working on the perfect shirt-jacket combo (t-shirt+wind jacket+rain jacket or maybe long sleeved sun shirt+rain jacket?). I’m sure a few things will change along the way, but this should get me started.
And also, my normal gear list looks mostly something like this:
Feathered Friends Egret (20 degree)
Hennesy Hammock Asym Ultralight
|Short sleeved shirt||Under armor|
Patagonia running shorts
|(Clothes in pack)|
|rain jacket||OR Helium II|
Feathered friends Daybreak hoodie
Patagonia capilene 4
|Bandana x 2|
|Thin warm hat|
|Extra socks x 2||Darn toughs|
|Extra underware x 2||
|Camp shoes flip flops||Teva flip flops|
|baseball hat/sun hat|
|stove, windscreen, lighter||Pocket rocket|
MSR titanium something
Long handled titanium
Sea to summit collapsible
|ursacks and opsacks|
|Knife or multi tool||tiny leatherman|
|athletic tape||KT tape|
|TP, trowel, hand sani|
|Cell phone||Moto x4|
Black Diamond reVolt
And that’s about it. Questions? Comments? Please feel free to add below.